Saturday, May 23, 2009

Who do I thank?

It’s the question that keeps coming back; every time I think about how much my life has changed. I live with the CCC (Chief in Charge of Caregiving). I know the nurses and doctors, and have a chance to see them again every few months. But I may never know who deserves my thanks the most.

If you’re in my situation, you’re aware of the quandary. Transplant donors’ identities (name, sex, age, etc.) are not available. Of course, the hospitals and doctors know. But the only way the transplant recipient can find out is to write a letter to the donor’s family and send it to the transplant team. They, in turn, forward it to the family. Then, it’s up to them. They decide whether or not to contact you.

I wrote my letter in August of 2008. I’m still waiting, and hoping the doctors are right. They tell me it often takes a while to get an answer.

In the meantime, I have another one to tide me over: everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment