Thursday, May 7, 2009

It's none of your business!

I go out for lunch alone quite often. Why I’ll get to in another blog. What I want to discuss now is one particular lunch. I was at my usual table with a good view patrons inside and also out on the patio. I could see the entrance and, through the glass doors, the sidewalk on the outside.

 

That was where I first saw her; an attractive, middle-aged woman with dark shoulder length hair. She stopped before entering the restaurant and checked her watch. Then she took a pack of cigarettes out of her purse and lit one. She stood there smoking and checking her watch until she finished the cigarette, dropping it on the ground and crushing it under her shoe.

 

When she came into the restaurant, she glanced around a moment, then smiled and waved. I watched her as she joined a table for four with three other women already seated.

 

I should mention here that when I came home from my transplant I promised myself that at least once a month I’d try to get someone to consider quitting smoking. This woman seemed like a natural for this month’s attempt.  She hadn’t been checking her watch while waiting for someone. She’d been checking her watch to see how much time she had to smoke. From experience, I knew that when you’re that addicted, you can use some help.

 

Since I’d finished my lunch, I asked my server for the bill and paid it. Then I got up and walked over to their table. I excused my self and asked if I could talk with them for a moment. They were all taken aback, but the smoker who turned out to be the most outgoing of the group, ask what they could do for me. I borrowed a chair from the empty table next to them and sat down.

 

(TO BE CONTINUED IN TOMORROW’S BLOG)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment