Monday, May 4, 2009

To shake or not to shake

The doctors all say we shouldn’t shake hands with people, but I make exceptions. I don’t tell them, of course. The doctors, I mean. However, at social functions like a wedding reception, a birthday party, or anywhere I’m being introduced to people I don’t know, I smile and shake.

 

Putting you hands up like you’re being arrested or jamming them in your pockets and trying to explain is embarrassing for both of you. Invariably, it also leads to that conversation I’m tired of having, and labels me as “the transplant guy” for the rest of evening.

 

I much rather be thought of as the guy with the bottle of Purell in his pocket. Just be careful not to touch your face with your hands. And when you can do it without being obvious, wipe your hands with Purell.

 

By the way, I do the same thing with old friends. But I don’t try to hide it with them.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment