Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Immune to what?

As I think most people know, our immune systems are a marvelous part of the human body. They’re designed to fight against dangerous intruders – such as bacteria and viruses. Unfortunately, for transplant recipients, those dangerous intruders include the foreign organs they’ve received. In fact, the key problem in transplantation and the eventual reason for the death of most of us is our immune systems. Medical science has yet to completely outsmart them. And sooner or later the immune system figures out there is an enemy among us and attempt to destroy it. The medical term is rejection.

The average length of time of survival for lung transplant recipients is five years. However, every year it’s getting longer. I know people who had their transplant in 1996 – thirteen years ago.

This “lesson” in rejection is to let you know that I’m still in acute rejection. After two sessions of intravenous Solumedrol and Prednisone tapers (one in July and another in August) my FEV1 (lung function) tests which had temporarily increased, are declining again. Every other indication is that I’m as arrogant and pushy as always. No fever, no shortness of breath, no coughing, BP of 121/70, heart rate of 62, blood sugar at 106. And my chest X-ray is clear.

The doctors at Shands know that Harriet and I – and Bernie – are planning on leaving on a two week vacation on September 11th. And they’ve assured me their plan will take this into consideration. I think it’s going to include an IV of a stronger immune suppressant than Solumedrol, another Prednisone taper, and a bon voyage.

P.S Don’t mention this to Bernie. He crazy about the resorts he’s going to stay at on the way north.

No comments:

Post a Comment