Thursday, September 24, 2009

Best laid plans

Sometimes they don’t work. Apparently, that’s the case with my rabbit juice treatment. I must have an immune system as stubborn as I am. Since Tuesday of this week my FEV1 (lung function) has been declining which means the T-cells haven’t completely given up the fight, still trying to rid my body of these “evil intruders”. I yelled at my chest a few times this morning trying to explain that they’re attacking me, but I guess I don’t know their language. So I called my transplant coordinator; she talked with Dr. Baz and called me back this afternoon.

The new best laid plan includes a trip back to Shands this coming Wednesday for more tests during “Clinic,” the regular check up time for transplant recipients. In the mean time they’ve made a few changes in my medications. Starting tonight I go back on Imuran, the immunosuppressant I was taken off of before the ATG treatment. I also start a Prednisone taper starting at 60mg and going down 5 mg per day. I’m to increase my Prograf, another immunosuppressant, to 1.5 mg a day. And finally, they’re putting me on Zithromax, a powerful antibiotic that is also sometimes used in immune system suppression regimens.

So, take that you ornery T-cells!

P.S. For anyone interested, I'm not feeling bad, just a little breathy. But Bernie's still getting his walks of two or three miles a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment