Monday, September 21, 2009

Another lesson from Bernie

Yesterday, on our first walk of the day, Bernie broke with ADT (Ancient Dog Tradition) and reminded me of another truism. As I’ve noted before, I think one of the great things about dogs is that they live in the moment, not worrying about the past or the future. So, imagine my surprise when we got in front of the yellow house down by the lake, and Bernie went straight to where I’d made him drop the baby gator. He sniffed and sniffed all around the spot, then looked up at me and cocked his head. I could almost hear him ask, “Where is it?”

For a second I was stuck. Another dog or raccoon, or something took it? It’s in the garbage? Then it came to me. I shook my head and told him the same thing he hears when he’s begged the last scrap from me at the dinner table. “All gone, Bernie.” Satisfied, he turned and headed off down the road, an eye out from the next lizard.

And, as usual, he left me thinking. That thing about opportunity only knocking once may be a cliché, but in this new life I’ve been lucky enough to gain, I’m going to try to take advantage of every one that comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment