Friday, September 4, 2009

Here's the Plan...

I was wrong. Based on my PFTs (Pulmonary Function Test) here in Orlando, the doctors at Shands are sure I’m still in acute rejection. They’re concerned that if we don’t take stronger steps, my lung function could decline to the point where it could not be recovered. This is despite the fact that my lung function in the tests here was approximately 100% of what would be expected for a normal man of my height and weigh. We have to remember that in early June it was 160%.

So, this is the plan: we’ll go to Shands on Tuesday morning and take another PFT. If the numbers haven’t improved considerably, I will be admitted to the hospital for an ATG (Anti-thymocyte gobulin) treatment, which normally takes 5 to 7 days. ATG is an IV that is much stronger than Solumedrol. It completely knocks back the immune system so we can start all over tricking it into believing these new lungs belong here. It has some fairly nasty side effects (fever and flu-like symptoms), and makes the patient vulnerable to infections – at least until the immune system begins to come back. However, it has been a part of the transplant arsenal for a while and the medical community is used to dealing with it.

Unfortunately, as a result of the stay in the hospital and the concerns about infections, it’s quite likely that our vacation will have to come later. Harriet and I have our fingers crossed that we may be able to travel via air and still see my son’s in Dowagiac on the 19th of September (their band is playing at the Wounded Minnow) and enjoy my fraternity reunion in Chicago on the 20th through the 23rd. But the doctors at Shands will make that decision.

Once again, please don’t tell Bernie. He thinks he’s going for a long ride --with all those lizard to hunt.

P.S. If you really want to grimace, you can Google Anti-thymocyte gobulin. The stuff comes from rabbits or horses. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment