Monday, June 1, 2009

A real confidence builder

With a loved one facing surgery, no matter how serious or benign, you reach out for some reassurance that it will be a positive result. No problems.

Today, I got the best kind of boost to my somewhat shaky (I tend to hypochondria) confidence. I wrote a short note to the pulmonary doctor who helped me survive my COPD long enough to get a transplant. Because we’ve known each other a long time and have become friends, I thought he’d like to know about Harriet’s upcoming surgery. He wrote back asking the name of Harriet’s urologist. When I told him, his response completely erased my nervousness.

“He’s superb! She’s in good hands.”

2 comments:

  1. Very encouraging posts, Larry. I have a good friend up in Alaska whose wife is going through some really tough stuff. I will forward the link to your blog to him. Meanwhile, take care, my friend, and God bless. Yes, getting second chances are indeed a blessing. Greetings to Harriet too. Having been the caregiver for Ivan for 12 years, she deserves a big hug. Please give her one for me.
    Janet Elaine Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet. You obviously know where I coming from.

    ReplyDelete