Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Take time for yourself

The weather here in Central Florida has changed dramatically. The high today was predicted at only 93 compared to yesterday’s 98. So, Bernie and I were able to get in a few more walks. On one of them this afternoon we came across a familiar scene. As we turned the corner and started down the road along the lake, we saw a teenage girl I’d guess at 15 or 16 years of age sitting on the hand made bench that someone long ago placed there. She was alone, reading a book.

Bernie wanted to say hello, but I gave him a quiet, “No.” He turned to look for something else of interest and we passed without interrupting the girl. The incident had me musing about something I recently read that someone as revered as the Dali Lama favored. Everyone, especially transplant recipients, should set aside some time to spend by themselves.

And then her cell phone rang.

No comments:

Post a Comment