Monday, June 22, 2009

When not to exercise

This morning, to take Bernie on his first walk, I slipped on a fresh T-shirt off the stack of laundry my wife did yesterday. When we came back, 20 minutes and three quarters of a mile later, Bernie’s tongue was lolling out the side of his mouth and the T was soaking wet. I tossed the shirt in the washing machine and cut another notch in my lesson stick.

It’s a good idea to read the paper or listen closely to the radio before you go wandering off on your exercise routine. The forecast high temperature in Central Florida today is 97 degrees. And with the predicted 65% humidity factored in, it will feel like 108 degrees.

Transplant recipient or not, I suggest you take the advice I gave Bernie borrowed from a Noel Coward song: Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment