Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Three Stooges

It turns out there are three kinds of chronic rejection. None of which are nearly as funny as Larry, Moe and Curly.

Stooge 1 begins with a decline in FEV1 (lung function) and then stabilizes and can remain that way for a number of years. However, in almost all cases, it eventually morphs into Stooge 2 or 3. And then moves from there to the final conclusion.

Stooge 2 involves a slow, steady decline in FEV1 over a number of months or years, may resolve its decline at times, but later commences again and proceeds to the final conclusion.

Stooge 3 exhibits a sudden, dramatic decline in FEV1 and normally leads to a final conclusion in a matter of months.

According to the doctors at Shands and what I’ve read on the Internet, Zithromax has been shown to be an positive treatment for all three of these conditions, at least in some cases. For some patients, it has not only stabilized FEV1 decline but reversed it.

So everyone is clear, in a phone conversation this afternoon my transplant coordinator told me it’s too early to determine what type of chronic rejection I’m experiencing. And it’s too soon to expect any reaction from the Zithromax I taking – I’ve only been on it a week and taken only 5 tablets. I’m scheduled to talk with the doctors again next Wednesday. Maybe then we’ll have a better idea of where I am and what comes next.

By the way, did you know that Moe’s real name was Moses Horiwitz?

1 comment:

  1. Will be thinking good thoughts for you... keep us posted on how it goes.

    ReplyDelete