Thursday, October 22, 2009

New numbers

I don’t pretend to know what this means. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed.

As you may know my FEV1 (lung function) has been declining dramatically – not just every month or week, but every day. It has dropped from a high of 4.46 in June to 3.82 on September first. On October first if was 2.82. And it kept falling to 2.12 on the tenth, 1.93 on the thirteenth and 1.72 on the fifteenth. On the sixtieth it was down to 1.54. However, on October twentieth it had only dropped to 1.47. And this morning it was 1.50.

In the meantime, the doctors at Shands have approved oxygen therapy and the insurance company has already provided a concentrator and portable oxygen equipment. I’m now using oxygen at night. Next week I’ll begin the inhaled Cyclosporine treatment.

P.S. To make sure the portable oxygen works I used it on our last walk this afternoon. Bernie thinks it’s cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment