Thursday, July 2, 2009

An ending and a good start

I had my last IV drip of Solumedrol this afternoon. Bernie and I took a walk down to the lake before the home nurse arrived. We knew it might be while before we could again.

I mentioned that Solumedrol is Prednisone on steroids. Strong stuff. It’s used to treat everything from MS, leukemia, colitis, arthritis and gout to an array of respiratory problems. And it has just about as many side effects. It can give you a burst of energy right after the treatment and then fifteen minutes later you’re on the couch half asleep. You might also have to deal with dizziness, nausea, weakness, mood changes, increased appetite, and weight gain to name a few effects.

Sort of like falling in love.

Luckily, and quite possibly because I have twenty years history with Prednisone and this hyped up version, I’m usually able to duck most of these problems. Still, it’s best to play it safe for a while after a treatment to make sure. And I do.

But enough about the end of the first step in my rejection treatment. Today was another good start. On our walk to the lake Bernie and I saw the teenage girl sitting on the wooden bench again. And she was reading. Bernie wanted to talk to her, but I voted against it. These days it’s something you seldom see. A young person actually reading a book, a snapshot out of a culture I’m concerned we’re losing, much to our detriment. I didn’t want to disturb the picture.

Oh, and her cell phone didn’t ring.

No comments:

Post a Comment