Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The routine

This morning I was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was UPS. I thanked the guy, he smiled, and then handed me a 12x12 box of medications. That got me to thinking about “the routine” as I call it. And all the other souls out there that wake up to the same kind drudgery.

My particular version goes like this – every morning. I get out of bed and weigh myself. Then I shower, get dressed and go upstairs to the kitchen table. On the way, I take the NPH insulin out of the refrigerator and set it next to “the basket” which contains all my “stuff.”

First, I record my weight. Then I…

  1. Take my temperature and record it.
  2. Blow into a peak flow meter to get my FEV1 (forced expulsion volume – how much air you can blow out in one second) and record it.
  3. Take my blood pressure and record it.
  4. Poke my finger to get my blood sugar level and record it.
  5. Draw 10 ml of NPH insulin into a syringe and inject it into my stomach.
  6. Eat something, usually a banana or cup of yogurt.
  7. Take my morning medications which include Prograf, Prednisone, Septra, Clotrimazole, Prevacid, Rythmol, Mag Oxide, Nu Iron, Oscal, and Lopresssor.

Finally, I take Bernie out for our first mile walk.

I know it seems like a lot to go through before you get your day started. But I remember when I could hardly get out of bed. When my world was limited by a 50-foot piece of tubing connected to an oxygen concentrator. Then it seems like small price to pay for a whole new life.

So, to anyone out there with their own “routine” I’d like to say KEEP IT UP! IT'S WORTH IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment